Local Newspapers (Original issues, microfilm or bound volumes)
• The Clayton Tribune - all extant issues from 1899 - present
• The Advertiser, 1882
• The Clarkesville Advertiser, 1882-1911
• The Tri-County Advertiser, 1913-1925
• Northeast Georgian - 1857
• North Georgia Weekly Press - issues from the 1950s
• Miscellaneous early Georgia newspapers, including extant issues of The
• Sketches of Rabun Co. History - Andrew Jackson Ritchie
• Rabun Co. Ga. & its People, Vol. 1
• Genealogy Extracted from Forest Service Court Cases in Rabun Co.
-Susan Lewis Koyle
• A Pictorial History of Rabun Co. - Cuba S. McKay,Editor
• Foxfire Magazines--all issues
• Scrapbooks from Rabun Maternity Hospital, the Music Club, and others
• Yearbooks from Rabun Co. High School, among others
• Plus a host of other books on surrounding counties...
Rabun County Records including:
• A select group of cemetery surveys
• Surviving U.S. population schedules for Rabun Co.
• Select 19th century tax & court records
• Copies of the original land lot & district maps
Family history books and folders, including the families of:
Beck, Chastain, Dillard, Eller, Gragg, Hamby, Turpen/Turpin, Whitmire & many more
We have a number of essential reference books on specific areas of genealogical research such as
• The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual by the Board for Certification of Genealogists
• The Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy by Loretto Dennis Szucs
• Red Book: American State, County & Town Sources by Alice Eichholz
Please adhere to the following guidelines when requesting lookups from the Library's Genealogy & Georgia History Collection:
• All requests must be in writing. The Library staff cannot take research requests by telephone.
• Please include your nameand mailing address with all correspondence and include a SASE.
Be specific when requesting information. For example, "I am looking for an obituary for John Smith who died August 15, 1923 in the Chechero area." Non specific requests such as "Could you please send me all the information you have on the Smith family?" cannot be filled.
There is no charge for lookups; however, the costs for copying, mailing, and other incidental fees must be paid by the querying party.
Please be aware that queries are answered on a first-come, first-serve basis and as time permits. Requests for information must be brief. Lengthy requests requiring in-depth research cannot be performed.
Requests for lookups should be sent to:
Rabun County Public Library
73 Jo Dotson Circle
Clayton, GA 30525
You may fax your requests to: 706-782-6514.
Requesting Genealogical Lookups
Materials available for in-house use: